Production Project Session 2

SUMMARY

Waterfalls - Pixel Art Wallpaper
Waterfalls – Pixel Art Wallpaper” by RodrixAP is licensed under CC BY 2.0.

Role

UI/Heads-Up Display

I made things like the Start Menu and overall UI stuff like texts, fonts, colors, and panels.

Intention (SMART Goal)

By October 14th, as part of Team 5, as the UI/Heads Up display designer, I will have evidence of creating a game logic Flowchart for our game and put it in the team Dundoc. By reading the “Rules of Play” book, I will be able to identify different types of game information and piece it together to have the Flowchart make sense for Session 2.

PRE-PRODUCTION – INQUIRY

Leader(s) in the Field / Exemplary Work(s)

Louis Auger

Has worked on games like Mass Effect: Andromeda, Deus Ex, Assassin’s Creed II, and Marvel Guardians of the Galaxy.

Training Source(s)

Level Up: A Guide to Game UI 

1. In only 12 years the game industry has transformed (2)
  2. UI elements help make a game worth playing (3)
  3. Some common UI components help navigate, find information, and accomplish goals (4)
  4. Two concepts vital to game design, narrative and the fourth wall (4)
  5. The narrative is the story the game tells (4)
  6. The fourth wall is the imaginary barrier between the player and the space in the games take place in (4)
  7. The narrative and the fourth wall provide two questions, “Does the component exist in the game story?” and “Does the component exist in the game space?” (4)
  8. Four classes, non-diegetic, diegetic, spatial, and meta (4)
  9. “Classifying video game UI components isn’t always cut and dry. A life meter may be diegetic in one game but non-diegetic in another.” (14)
  10. “Depending on a game’s narrative and its players’ relationship to the fourth wall, components may blur the line between classes. Likewise, an infinite range of visual styles and configurations can be applied to components according to a game’s art direction.” (14)
Game UI

PRODUCTION – ACTION

The (FILM, SOUND, or GAME Creation)

Itch

Skills Commentary

Slideshow

POST-PRODUCTION – REFLECTION

21st Century Skills

Ways of Thinking (Creativity, Innovation, Critical Thinking, Problem Solving)

We had some problems at the start of making this game like when the project was impossible to compile because of an issue with the version of Unity we were using. We were able to fix that with LeDuc’s help and continued working. We had some scripting errors but we figured out alternatives to use to make it work.

Ways of Working (Communication & Collaboration)

Since the first session our team we have been getting better at communicating and working with one another. I think we’re getting more comfortable with working on a game together.

Tools for Working (Info & Media Literacy)

I used a lot of resources online like videos and online forums. This provided help from people who were experienced with what I was working with.

Ways of Living in the World (Life & Career)

These skills are important because problem-solving, communication, and media literacy are crucial for most jobs in the working industry.

Reactions to the Final Version

“I commend you for trying 3D” – Hunter

Self-Evaluation of Final Version

Well, we weren’t able to present the game but I think the prototype we had was pretty cool. He had a 3D plane where the player can move and shoot an enemy with bullets. Hopefully, we’ll be able to continue working on it and get feedback next session.

Grammar and Spelling

Grammarly

Editor

Connor