Production Project Session 3

SUMMARY

Asian Night - Pixel Art Wallpaper
Asian Night – Pixel Art Wallpaper” by RodrixAP is licensed under CC BY 2.0.

Role

UI/Heads-Up Display

I made things like the Start Menu and overall UI stuff like texts, fonts, colors, and panels.

Intention (SMART Goal)

By Jan. 13, as a UI designer, I will have evidence of creating a user interface that provides information to the player, by following Making UI That Looks Good for session 3.

PRE-PRODUCTION – INQUIRY

Leader(s) in the Field / Exemplary Work(s)

Louis Auger

Has worked on games like Mass Effect: Andromeda, Deus Ex, Assassin’s Creed II, and Marvel Guardians of the Galaxy which shows his creativity and genius through the UI in these games.

Training Source(s)

1. In only 12 years the game industry has transformed (2)
  2. UI elements help make a game worth playing (3)
  3. Some common UI components help navigate, find information, and accomplish goals (4)
  4. Two concepts vital to game design, narrative and the fourth wall (4)
  5. The narrative is the story the game tells (4)
  6. The fourth wall is the imaginary barrier between the player and the space in the games take place in (4)
  7. The narrative and the fourth wall provide two questions, “Does the component exist in the game story?” and “Does the component exist in the game space?” (4)
  8. Four classes, non-diegetic, diegetic, spatial, and meta (4)
  9. “Classifying video game UI components isn’t always cut and dry. A life meter may be diegetic in one game but non-diegetic in another.” (14)
  10. “Depending on a game’s narrative and its players’ relationship to the fourth wall, components may blur the line between classes. Likewise, an infinite range of visual styles and configurations can be applied to components according to a game’s art direction.” (14)
Game UI

Project Timeline

Storyboard

Pitch

Planning

List tasks

Fibonacci number the tasks in Trello

Organize Trello/Choos tasks for Scrum

Start production

Update Trello

Update Burndown Chart

Update versions

The due date is Jan. 15 so finish by the 15th

Proposed Budget

$7700 upfront, $15 per month for each person.

PRODUCTION – ACTION

The (FILM, SOUND, or GAME Creation)

Itch

Skills Commentary

Slideshow

POST-PRODUCTION – REFLECTION

21st Century Skills

Ways of Thinking (Creativity, Innovation, Critical Thinking, Problem-Solving)

I guess I showed critical thinking by efficiently managing my work time. With the help of Trello, I was able to create checklists for each individual part of a task. Then I would determine which parts I should work on first to finish the task the quickest and the best way to finish it. I also had to take into account whether or not some parts of the tasks were dependent on the work that my teammates were doing and move the order of tasks around.

Ways of Working (Communication & Collaboration)

Well, I would say our team is pretty communicative, we make use of LeDuc’s methods like stand-up meetings and Trello. We also can communicate through discord and during work time.

Tools for Working (Info & Media Literacy)

There’s a lot of useful information and forums where I can find help. I also have access to my teammate’s knowledge.

Ways of Living in the World (Life & Career)

I would say everything I’ve talked about can become good life skills for this industry and most industries. Like the ways of thinking or working, and tools for working all have an important role in future life skills.

Reactions to the Final Version

“I like that the player has the option to change the sensitivity.” – Nellie

Self-Evaluation of Final Version

I think our game has had huge improvements since the last session. We weren’t even able to show it off which was a major error. This time we were able to show what we weren’t able to before and more. Though far from finished I think the game plays really well so far and looks really good.

Grammar and Spelling

Grammarly

Editor

Spencer